Christopher Furton is a certified professional with over 12 years of Information Technology experience and 8 years of hands-on leadership. He is an expert in cyber security with both managerial and technical skills throughout a career with increasing responsibility and performance expectations. Christopher's known ability to translate complex information for universal understanding has made him invaluable to past employers and coworkers. He is a details-driven, results-focused leader with superior analytically, multitasking, and communication skills who is also well-versed in industry best practices including Project Management and IT Service Management. Christopher Furton currently holds active CISSP, CEH, ITIL Foundations, Security+, and Network+ certifications.
M.S., Information Management – Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, May 2015
B.S., Computer Science - The University of Michigan, Dearborn, MI, Jul 2003
Senior IT Analyst – Cybersecurity & Information Assurance Manager – September 2008 to April 2013
Senior Information Technology Analyst supporting the organization’s four building satellite campus in California and two building site in Utah. Scope of responsibility: vulnerability assessment and remediation, user awareness training, malware incident response and reporting, continuity of operations planning, IT process evaluation and improvement, data loss and host intrusion prevention, device authentication, regulatory compliance with Certification and Accreditation, information security control identification and implementation, encryption and PKI. Supported approximately 150 users and 1,000 pieces of computing equipment.
- Participated in a business maturity initiative defining and documenting IT/cybersecurity processes, developing roles and responsibilities, and instituting the Project Management Institute’s (PMI) Project Management framework.
- Saved $44,000 annually in manpower cost by implementing a custom automated vulnerability management solution using eEye Retina, Desktop Central, WSUS, MSI packages, Orca and scripting.
- Identified and resolved an unmitigated high-priority risk involving rogue devices by designing and implemented network switch port security on Extreme Networks equipment with a Microsoft Radius server and Active Directory authentication.
- Improved layered defense by implemented policy and procedures for utilizing Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) during the workstation build-out process.
- Developed and executed plans for installation of a new data-at-rest encryption security control using Guardian Edge software.
- Developed an IT Continuity of Operations Plan focused on restoration of core services during disaster recovery as part of the Business Continuity Plan.
- Primary incident responder investigating over 100 security alerts, identifying affected assets, mitigating or eliminating the threat, briefing the CIO, and creating written reports of findings.
- Maintained regulatory compliance with Certification and Accreditation under the Department of Defense DITSCAP and DIACAP programs and developed Plan of Actions and Milestones (POAM) for non-compliant controls.
- Represented Information Technology and cyber security priorities as a stakeholder in cross-functional project management teams and briefed senior-level officials on project status.
Staff Communications Officer and Information Assurance Officer – May 2007 to September 2008
Senior staff-level communications officer responsible for overseeing testing and evaluation of technical assets on a prototype military vehicle as well as developing the organization’s Information Technology function. Led a highly complex team of 30 Marines and contractors with various job skills while accounting for over $20 million in equipment and materials.
- Stood up a formal Information Technology department and coached contracted IT personnel in development of internal processes and equipment accountability.
- Identified data back-up availability risk through gap analysis and developed new procedures including full and incremental back-ups, off-site storage of mission critical data, and restoration testing.
- Provided consultation to Vehicle Electronic Systems (VES) engineers on cyber security concerns including preparation for Certification and Accreditation (C&A) and Net-Ready KPP regulatory compliance.
- Enhanced overall cyber security posture by building relationships with key stakeholders within the personnel and physical security functions as well as the Office of the Chief Information Officer.
Staff Intelligence Systems Officer and Information Assurance Manager – December 2005 to May 2007
The organization’s first-ever staff-level communication officer responsible for all facets of communication including telephony, radio, and data systems, office information technology infrastructure, military tactical infrastructure, architecture planning, certification and accreditation, and information assurance. Led teams of Marines ranging in size from 30 up to 250 and ensured accountability, maintenance, and operations of over $500,000 in equipment.
- Meticulously architected, coordinated implementation, and managed operations of a military communication plan consisting of 8 physically distinct data networks, 42 POTS and VOIP telephones, satellite and terrestrial com-links, and general administrative support to 150 military intelligence users.
- Achieved 100% compliance with information assurance training objectives and developed a pro-security culture by lecturing over 250 users on current cyber threat intelligence and proper system usage.
- Increased classified network bandwidth throughput by 50% during an upgrade project meeting strict regulatory guidelines.
- Ensured continual operations with ZERO reported incidents of lost data or functionality during a network transition to the Navy and Marine Corps Intranet involving 85 end-points and over 185 users.
- Supervised acquisition and installation of an intelligence big data tool that integrated several intelligence sources into one central repository.
- Increased functionality and reliability of intelligence collection by coordinating and supervising Okinawa, Japan’s first ever integration of two complex communication systems as well as achieving host national approval to operate within the frequency spectrum.
- Achieved 100% compliance with the Certification and Accreditation (C&A) program by assisting Program of Record project managers with Security Test and Evaluation (ST&E) and obtaining Approval to Connect (ATC) systems to the Marine Corps Base Japan infrastructure.
IT Administrator – May 2000 to July 2003
Tier 1 help desk support responsible for answering service requests, reporting incidents, resolving problems, asset accountability and training end users.
Social Site list:
LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/christopherfurton/en
Twitter - https://twitter.com/ChrstphrFrtn
Quora - https://www.quora.com/Christopher-Furton
Google+ - https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ChristopherFurton
Blogs & News
Slideshare - http://www.slideshare.net/ChristopherFurton
Newsle - https://newsle.com/christopherfurton
Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/user/ChristopherFurton/
Wordpress - https://christopherfurton.wordpress.com/
Tumblr - http://christopherfurton.tumblr.com/
Video & Photos
Pinterest - https://www.pinterest.com/ChrstphrFrtn
Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherfurton/
Vimeo - https://vimeo.com/christopherfurton
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristopherFurton
About.Me - https://about.me/christopherfurton
Flavors.me - http://christopherfurton.flavors.me/
Forbes - http://blogs.forbes.com/people/christopherfurton/
LookUpPage - http://www.lookuppage.com/users/christopherfurton/
BrandYourself - http://christopherfurton.brandyourself.com/
Appearoo - http://appearoo.com/ChristopherFurton
CrunchBase - https://www.crunchbase.com/person/christopher-furton#/entity
Delicious - https://delicious.com/it_mgmt_chris
Diigo - https://www.diigo.com/user/ChrstphrFrtn
Meetup - http://www.meetup.com/members/193970508/
Yelp - http://chrstphrfrtn.yelp.com/
Foursquare - https://foursquare.com/chrstphrfrtn